Custom-Made Nightguards for Bruxism
Bruxism is the clinical name for excessive, usually unconscious, teeth-grinding that occurs most often at night while a patient is asleep. If you don’t recognize and treat it in time, then bruxism can lead to severe damage to your teeth and a host of other dental health issues. In many cases, Dr. Correa can suggest a custom-designed oral appliance, or nightguard, that is worn while you sleep to prevent your teeth from grinding against each other.
What to Expect from Bruxism Treatment
During your dental examination, Dr. Correa will inspect your teeth for signs of bruxism, which include:
- Noticeable tooth wear, especially on chewing surfaces
- Tooth sensitivity
- Chipped or cracked tooth edges
- Sore jaw and facial muscles
- Chronic headaches, especially when you first wake up in the morning
If signs are noticeable, then Dr. Correa may suggest treatment with a custom-designed nightguard. If your teeth have suffered any damage, then she may also recommend an appropriate restorative dental treatment, such as dental crowns, to rebuild the compromised tooth structure.
What Causes Bruxism?
There is no single, definitive cause for clinical bruxism, although experts have identified a number of common contributing causes and risk factors, including:
- Emotional stress
- Abnormal bite alignment (malocclusion)
- Muscle spasms in the jaw
- Physical pain
- The side effects of certain medications
- TMJ disorder (a dysfunction in your jaw’s joints)
- Complications from mental and physical illness
Though bruxism cannot always be prevented, you can increase your chances of avoiding dental damage by recognizing contributing factors and seeking appropriate treatment as soon as possible.